Sunday, February 10, 2008

Mardi Gras Mambo

Happy Mardi Gras! One of my new year's resolutions this year was to make bigger deals of holidays because we didn't growing up and I was always sad about it. So that includes Mardi Gras since both Mark and I grew up with that holiday. It made Mark and I really homesick for New Orleans!
Of course, we had to buy a few beads to celebrate.

These were our party guests, pretty slim pickins. We invited a whole bunch of people but only 3 couples showed up, and at different times.
Here is my homeade king cake! I'm actually really, really proud of it. I heard it was so hard to make from tons of people, but I braved it anyways and it was DELICIOUS. Tasted almost exactly like the real thing!
Jaaambalaya!Here are our party guests making masks for the parade.

Here's Ethan's mask and paper plate tambourine. All ready for the parade!

They paraded around the house for about 5 minutes shaking their tambourines and throwing beads to the passerbys (parents). Ethan really enjoyed himself and I think this will definetly be a yearly tradition! Yay for New Orleans!

6 comments:

Parkinson Family said...

thats awesome leah, looks like you guys had a great time! and the king cake looks really really good, mardi gras was always a fun holiday

The Stanford Bunch said...

How fun!!! I wish we coulda come! =)

Sarah and Doug said...

Shmee, how fun!! I miss your Jammmmbolyyya! I still have the beads you gave me the first day we moved in together!! Love you!

Lewis Family said...

You guys are so cute and funny! It looks and sounds like Ethan had tons of fun. Good for you for keeping and making traditions!!

Lindsay said...

Hey Leah!
I found ya'lls blog through Lindsey.
Hopefully you remember us from New Orleans.
You seriously need to post the recipes for the jambalaya and the king cake.
Rob & I went back to New Orleans in December for a quick weekend trip. It was so great to be back "home". But sad that both of the houses we lived in were gone.
Anyways- check out our blog.
www.frohmfamily.blogspot.com
And we'll talk to ya'll later.
Lindsay Frohm

mary said...

This looks SO SO SO SO fun! I love it!